Site Network: Jeff Emanuel | RedState | Human Events | American Spectator | Peach Pundit | The Patriot Group |




 

Welcome to the official website of columnist and combat journalist Jeff Emanuel.

Click the tabs for biographical information, column archives, a regularly-updated blog, embedded reports from Iraq, and information on current projects.



Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My good friend and RedState colleague Dan McLaughlin has a review of the latest Potter film on his site. I largely agree with his take on it -- especially his call for the abysmal Michael Gambon to be replaced with a competent actor who actually sees the point in reading the books in whose film portrayal he plays such a seminal character.

I disagree with his characterization of Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith as "perfect for their characters"; while I think that Dame Smith started the series very well, I think that she has suffered from the combination of poor screenwriting and her own advancing age, which has resulted in her character growing weaker by the film. Rickman, in my opinion, has never been a satisfactory Snape; he is too old, too whiny, not greasy enough, and does not effectively communicate the power Snape possesses or the hatred he has for Harry.

When speaking of film 6 being ruined if Gambon returns, as Dan does in his review, I think Snape has to be mentioned as well. The end of Half-Blood Prince did a great deal to reveal who was really, truly powerful, and I don't see Rickman -- as played to this point -- pulling off the powerful, terrible Snape which we see at the end of that book.

Film six is at least a year away, though, so that can be dealt with later. In the meantime, I'll be at my local bookstore this Friday night at midnight getting the final book in the series, which I trust will be stellar.

Labels:

Permalink |

1 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alan Rickman play Snape to the T.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home